UPDATE 1 AUGUST / 5 SHAWAL 1435
5th day of providing water for schools. Without electricity in the Gaza strip, the government cannot provide water to houses or schools. So it has become necessary for VPM to provide water.
UPDATE 31 JULY 2014 / 4 SHAWAL 1435
Despite all the bombings, your contribution to VPM are getting directly to the people Alhamdulillah. Here are the latest pictures, received. Hot meals and food baskets for the displaced in Jabaliya, north of Gaza strip. Some are seeking shelter at UN schools, others with their relatives. Each meal contains 600gm rice, 1.5kg chicken and laban or yoghurt.We are also working in Beit Lahia, Sheik Redwan and Al Zaitun, and inshaa Allah will be able to reach people in Deir Balah soon.
UPDATE 30 JULY 2014 / 3 SHAWAL 1435
FIMA GAZA RELIEF UPDATES NO:19
A delegation of doctors from Sudan was allowed into Gaza. They are part of the International Red Cross Society and was allowed in after an SOS plea by the Palestinian Red Crescent Society. Let us pray & hope that more doctors will be allowed in to deal with some of the most serious and gruesome injuries and to relieve the exhausted Palestinian surgeons. Pictures to follow.
Meanwhile, the Ministry of Health Gaza confirmed their desperate need for ambulances. 16 ambulances were destroyed by the IOF (Israeli Occupying Forces). Viva Palestina Malaysia & Aqsa Syarif Malaysia & a philanthropist from Saudi Arabia contributed 4 ambulances each. The other 8 ambulances were funded by Islamic Medical Association (IMA) South Africa, DWW Turkey and other IMAs. These 20 ambulances will be transferred ASAP via both checkpoints in Rafah & Israel.
Five WHO health Kits, weighing 5,000 kg which have the capacity to treat 50,000 patients over a period of 3 months was airlifted by IMA North America a few days ago. It is in Cairo awaiting transfer in the next convoy, Inshallah.
Dr Ashraf Jedaar (+27836754103)
Director, FIMA Relief
Dato’ Dr Musa Mohd Nordin (+6012-3200564)
Chairman, FIMA Advisory Council / Viva Palestina Malaysia
A/C Name: PERTUBUHAN VIVA PALESTINA MALAYSIA
UPDATE 28 JULY 2014
Latest Updates and Needs from Gaza
- 1053 Palestinians have been Martyred ( 219 child, 5 with disability, 107 women, 48 elders) since the beginning of the aggression on Gaza, of whom Most of them are civilians, more than 6000 wounded (1900 children,1600 women, 305 elders)
- In another grave crime, Israeli forces killed 20 members of one family, including 11 children and 5 women, when an Israeli warplane bombarded their house in KhanYounis.
- Before humanitarian ceasefire ended, medical crews have been able to recover bodies of 147 Palestinians, most of them children, who were killed by Israeli forces in the past days. Israeli forces also attacked medical crews, killing 2 paramedics and wounding 4 others. Thus, the number of medical personnel killed Israeli forces during this offensive has amounted to 7, and 16 ones have been wounded.
- Due the ongoing Israeli offensive on the Gaza Strip number of Homes fully destroyed or severely damaged are 5160 house, also 22,000 house damaged partially in Gaza directly displacing thousands of people every minute.
- 150 schools and 160 service and public facilities in Gaza have sustained damage.
- 67 Masjids in Gaza were damaged ( 3 fully damaged)
- 7 NGOS HQ were destroyed
- 40 boats for fish men were destroyed
- Initial reports about 3 Billion is the Economic sector loss in Gaza
- Thereare now 149,000 displaced persons seeking refuge in 92 UNRWA shelters and 70,000 in their relatives houses.
- 900,000 People at risk of losing access to water supply
- 80% of population receives electricity 3 hours a day
- The Gaza Power Plant was shelled for the third time tonight, causing shut-down of the plant
- 25%Of all WASH facilities have no electricity due to damage to electricity lines and transformers
- 35,605 individuals whose shelters were totally destroyed or sustained major structural damage need emergency NFI kits including mattresses, blankets, hygiene kits, and kitchen sets. In the medium term, they will need cash assistance to cover rental fees and basic household items.
- NFI emergency shelter repair interventions such as nylon and tarpaulin are needed for about 3380 families (23,400 individuals) whose homes sustained damage but are still inhabitable. Another 151,800 individuals living in slightly affected houses (broken windows and/or damaged doors) need NFI assistance such as nylon and plastic sheets.
- Massive shortage in drugs and disposables (28 and 54 per cent respectively) at Gaza Hospitals hinders Ministry of Health’s (MoH) ability to deliver health services. Gaza requires US4 3.2 million monthly to secure the needed drugs and disposables.
- Urgent need for psycho-tropic drugs, especially emergency drug kits to use for patients with mental illness who have relapses and families in especially severe circumstances of forced displacement, trauma and anxiety.
- Eight anesthesia machines, 10 ventilators, 5 electrosurgical units, 20 vital sign monitors, ECG machines, 5 defibrillator machines urgently needed.
- There is also a need for fuel as the hospitals are consuming a lot of fuel to run the hospitals basic operations.
- Shifa hospital urgently needs neurosurgeons, anesthesiologists, plastic and general surgeons, and orthopedic specialists, as well as 20 ICU beds, a digital C-ARM machine for orthopedic surgeries, three operation tables and a lighting system for the five operation rooms
- More than 219,000 IDPs hosted at UNRWA shelters, public schools and other facilities, with host families or in open spaces are in need of emergency food assistance.
- Farmers, breeders and fishermen’s livelihoods are heavily compromised. Although a comprehensive picture of exact needs is not yet available, animal feed for 3,000 herders is needed to avoid further loss of livestock and erosion of livelihoods.
- More than 219,000 IDPs hosted at UNRWA shelters, public schools, with host families or in open spaces, as well as communities disconnected from the municipal water supply need water for drinking and domestic use.
- An estimated 1.2 million people have no or very limited access to water or sanitation services due to damage to the electricity system or lack of fuel to run generators to power WASH facilities.
- 15 wells and six sewage pumping stations are not operating. Less than half of the required amount of water is being pumped, according to the Municipality of Gaza.
- Deir al Balah Desalination Plant cannot produce enough water to serve people in the Middle Area due to shortage of fuel and electricity outage (3hrs/day).
- There is urgent need for 10,000 litre of fuel for two municipal wells in Az Zawayda, as a high tension transformer feeding the wells has been destroyed, and the other two wells are operating through generators.
- Several areas are experiencing sewage flooding, in particular in Beit Hanoun and Beit Lahiya, posing public health hazards
- WASH facilities east of Salah ad Din road and in north Gaza (both areas in the new three km no-go zone) have not been accessible for repairs, while also likely to be inaccessible to water trucking due to the unsafe security situation.
Nonfood item and shelter
Water, Sanitation and Hygiene (WASH)
Once more, Gazan civilians are being made to pay the price of war. After a crippling blockade and successive attacks, 1.8 million Gazans are even more defenseless and vulnerable. Give to provide medical assistance, to repair homes, to feed and provide shelter.
US$ 30 gives counseling to a traumatized child
US$ 40 will feed a person two meals for a week
US$ 149 provides a family with mattresses, blankets and a sleeping mat US$ 1080 feeds a family in Gaza for a month
US$ 50 Sponsorship of Orphan
US$ 250 Home rent family per month
MOH in Gaza
UN twitter account
Collected By: Mohammad Y. Hasna
Alhamdulillah our goods arrived in gaza. With dr khamis in black shirt. These are the medicines donated by our partner in the FIMA group Mercy Malaysia.
UPDATE 29 RAMADHAN 1435 / 27 JULY 2014
FIMA GAZA RELIEF UPDATES NO. 14
Alhamdulillah! Our second AMU/FIMA convoy of 16 trucks carrying USD 500K worth of medicines and surgical supplies entered Gaza at 0125 hours 27 Ramadhan 1435. The first also an AMU/FIMA convoy entered on the 5th day of the genocide, on 15 Ramadhan 1435 / 13 July 2014.
So you can rest assured that all your contributions have seen its passage into the Central Medical Stores of the Ministry of Health Gaza to replenish the fast depleting supplies due to the increasing reports of mortalities and injuries. Apart from medical & surgical supplies our next convoy would also include 20 new ambulances required urgently by the MOH and is expected to cost us USD 800K.
The death toll is fast exceeding 1,000 people (40% children and women) and in excess of 5,000 wounded. The collateral damage among the civilian population is unacceptable. This genocidal madness must stop!
In an open letter to the Lancet (23 July 2014) 24 doctors and scientists who have worked in and known the situation of Gaza for years have written “… on the basis of our ethics and practice, we are denouncing what we witness in the aggression of Gaza by Israel …” You can join the campaign and sign the petition at:
Sir Ian charmers, amongst the pioneers of Evidence Based Medicine (EBM) has been consistent in his condemnation of the complicity of the Israel Medical Association (IMA) in the torture of Palestinian prisoners. With 700 others he petitioned for the removal of IMA from the World Medical Association.
Derek Summefield, a South African knows first hand the pain and suffering of Apartheid.
Ang Swee Chai, a Malaysian orthopod, witnessed Shabra Shatila first hand, the massacre of Palestinians under the watch of Ariel Sharon in 1982. Read her book. “From Beirut to Jerusalem”.
Prof Mads Gilbert, a Norwegian, is presently in the thick of the massacre in Gaza, and you may have read his letter and impassioned plea to the US president; “Mr. Obama - do you have a heart? I invite you - spend one night - just one night - with us in Shifa. Disguised as a cleaner, maybe. I am convinced, 100%, it would change history. Nobody with a heart AND power could ever walk away from a night in Shifa without being determined to end the slaughter of the Palestinian people.”
Let us all do our little humanitarian duty and act within our circle of influence. Spread the word.
To add insult to injury, sixty-four public figures, including seven Nobel Peace Prize winners, published a letter in the British Guardian newspaper calling for an international arms embargo on Israel for its "war crimes and possible crimes against humanity" in Gaza.
Concurrently, whilst continuing to heal the wounded and relieving their injured psyche, our workers on the ground in Gaza, the likes of Hani Thuraya (VPM representative), Ahmad Thabet (Aqsa Syarif representative) etal are feeding the poor, sheltering the homeless, supplying tanks of clean water, delivering baby diapers, comforting bereaved families etc.
A more mammoth task awaits us when a ceasefire is declared and with our partners we have to strategize a blue print of action to tackle the economic issues of massive unemployment, sheltering the homeless, feeding the poor, scholarship programs for the students, equipping their educational institutions, financial independency programs for the widows or women whose husbands are prisoners in Israel and rehabilitate the Gaza economy.
We and our partners have an excellent infrastructure in both Gaza & West Bank with our continued presence there since 2009. This also opens the opportunity and space for all who had planned to enter Gaza during the acute phase but failed, since priority is for the medical professionals to contribute to the mid and long term nation building of Gaza.
Please continue to raise funds for the beleaguered medical, educational, housing and economic infrastructure of Gaza.
May Allah reward you all abundantly for your prayers and contributions during this blessed month of Ramadhan.
Dr Ashraf Jedaar (+27836754103)
Director, FIMA Relief
A/C Name: FIMA
Bank: Standard Bank of South Africa
Constantia branch: 025309
A/C No: 071848770
SWIFT code: SBZAZAJJ
Dato’ Dr Musa Mohd Nordin (+6012-3200564)
Chairman, FIMA Advisory Council / Viva Palestina Malaysia
A/C Name: PERTUBUHAN VIVA PALESTINA MALAYSIA
Bank: Malayan Banking Berhad
Block C, Damansara Offices Complex, Jalan Dungun, 50490 Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
Account no : 5-64324-601324
Swift Code : MBBEMYKL
UPDATE 28 RAMADHAN 1435 / 26 JULY 2014
200 mattresses and blankets were distributed by VPM to 4 non UN schools in Sheik Redwan.
The aftermath after the destruction of Shijaeeya East Gaza. The Zionists has completely wiped out and flattened the entire area. The last picture shows what the area looked like before the destructioin.
VPM UNEQUIVOCALLY ENDORSES & SUPPORTS BDS - BOYCOTT, DIVESTMENT & SANCTIONS.
IT IS MORALLY & ETHICALLY THE RIGHT THING TO DO
THE GLOBAL BDS CAMPAIGN SIGNALS THE RISE OF THE NEW SUPER POWER – PEOPLE POWER
JOIN THE BDS MOVEMENT AND BOYCOTT ISRAEL
IT ENDED APARTHEID SOUTH AFRICA, AND SO WILL IT END APARTHEID ISRAEL
For close to 70 years, Israel has been violating the rights of the Palestinians with impunity. Denied their right to freedom and self-determination and subjected to ethnic cleansing and systematic discrimination. Today the world watches in horror at the genocide taking place in Gaza.
But in spite of its glaring brutal oppression of the Palestinians, Israel has hardly been rebuked, let alone held accountable for its crimes against humanity.
This led to a call by Palestinian civil societies to boycott, divest from and sanction Israel or BDS. That was 2005, nearly ten years ago. Today BDS Israel is a global movement, spanning the US, Europe, Australia, New Zealand, Asia, Africa and the Middle East.
What are the aims of BDS. Contrary to popular belief, it is more than just economics.
A Campaign of Isolation
BDS sends a clear message to the Israeli government that it is a rogue state not welcome anywhere until it recognizes the Palestinians right to self determination and fully complies with international laws. It involves isolating Israel culturally, academically and economically.
A Political Statement
BDS is a political statement that says, “I don’t consume these products because it is morally and ethically wrong.” It empowers consumers and reminds them that as individuals they have a choice. It is about standing in solidarity with a people under occupation for more than 60 years.
BDS creates awareness and is a reminder of the long and brutal occupation the Palestinians have been living under. Each time we see the brands or companies targeted, we will remember the occupation. Each time a consumer reaches out for Nestle, McDonalds, L’Oreal or Coke, he will picture the oppression of the Palestinians.
BDS is about pressuring businesses to cease their relationship or change their business policies with a government that violates the rights of an entire people.
BDS Israel is now a global movement that involves Nobel Laureates, academicians, poets, musicians, artists, award winning journalists. It includes universities, churches, student bodies, businesses and even the government of South Africa. This is a call to stop this bully through peaceful, non violent means.
Are we strong enough to be effective?
Boycott South Africa started in the 1950s and was the idea of a small group of activists. It took decades but eventually almost the entire world stood united and brought an end to South Africa’s racist government.
Can we do it again?
In unity lies our strength. Do not make the mistake of doing nothing just because we think we can only do little. Just do what we can. Let us each act within our circle of influence.
We boycott because it is morally and ethically the right thing to do.
We call on you to be a part of this global movement, a part of the new super power called PEOPLE POWER.
We call on you to Boycott Israel
UPDATE 26 JUL 2014
Two convoys one from Cairo and another from Alexandria, totalling 16 trucks left for Rafah yesterday morning. No medical personnel were allowed to cross and the goods were handed over to the Gazan staff at the crossing. Alhamdulillah the supplies worth about USD 500,000 have now reached the Ministry Of Health Gaza stores for onward distribution to hospitals in Gaza.
AMU, PIMA, IMAE, VPM, Aqsa Syarif, IMAM, IMANA, DWW Turkey, Pakistan IMA, Al Khidmat Pakistan, IMASA, Gift of Givers, IMANI, IMA Jordan, IMAKSA, IMA Qatar, Ikram Health, Mercy Malaysia and all the other affiliates of FIMA etal. You guys made it happen. Where governments have failed, you guys succeeded. Allah chose you bros & sis to serve our beleaguered nation of Palestine. In this blessed month may you all be blessed eternally. This is a most remarkable display of international collaboration of our medical fraternity, donors, charitable org etc. We thank all our partners and generous donors, individuals & corporate org who funded the gift of medicines and surgical supplies. There is much more to do. Let us all work harder to treat the injured, feed the hungry, shelter the homeless and help rebuild Gaza. End the occupation & free Palestine. Jzkk from Dr Jedaar FIMA Relief, Dr Musa FIMA/VPM, Dr Ismail Chairman IMANA.
UPDATE 25 JUL 2014
This was during yesterday's Friday Prayers, the last one this Ramadan at Masjid Wilayah and Masjid Negara. The outpouring generosity for the people of Gaza was amazing. People just gave and VPM collected more than RM30,000 from donation and sales. May the Almighty reward all the generous donors abundantly for their generosity. This collection could not have been done without the help of a very enthusiastic team of volunteers and the people from Touch and Go helping to also promote the cause.
UPDATE 24 JUL 2014
Distribution of baby diapers and toiletries to mothers sheltering at UN schools.
VPM is also providing water tanks for drinking and washing to 8 schools for the next 5 days, a total of 350 tanks.
Inshaallah we are distributing 100 suhoor meals today through Rowad society
In response to the dastardly attack on Gaza, VPM is chanelling all our resources into providing food, medical and other essentials to the beleaguered people of Gaza. Aid includes mattresses and blankets for those whose homes are now rubble.
Humanity has once again opened up their hearts and funds have been pouring in. Here are some pictures of the aid being delivered.
Do note that our team in Gaza sometimes work under threat of Israeli fire.
A local school, Sekolah Menengah Sri Hartamas held a Palestine awareness week with a picture exhibition and donation drive for VPM's Gaza Relief Fund.
VPM collected RM 8800 in donations and their sales totalled RM 2850. The following day on Friday, some of the school kids continued with the donation drive at Bukit Damansara mosque and collected another RM2000+
UPDATE 23 JUL 2014
The Iftar at Al Aqsa on 20th Ramadan. VPM has included Al Quds in this year's Ramadan food program. We sent USD 5,000 earlier for food baskets for the poor using the food basket project. The iftar for the murabitun (people who guard Al Aqsa) and the congregation was funded by private donors via VPM. About 600 people attended and the cost was USD 5,000. May Allah protect Al Aqsa from the Zionists.
UPDATE 22 JUL 2014
Alhamdulillah today VPM is providing hot iftar meals of chicken and rice to 1800 people sheltering at the UN schools in Sheikh Raedwan and Alnasser Street, Gaza.
UPDATE 21 JUL 2014
Launch of the special' SaveGaza' edition of the Touch n Go card . Thanks to Karim Lassim and the Touch n Go team for initiating this fantastic fundraising effort for our Gaza Relief fund. The poignant photo of the boy with the Palestinian flag on Hamdi Aburahma's Facebook page have been used with his kind permission.
UPDATE ON ALL THE RECENT PUBLICITY AND AWARENESS PROGRAMS BY VPM AND ITS MEMBERS
A POEM by an 18 year old girl trying to make sense of this inhumane attack on Gaza
UPDATE 12 Jul 2014
Despite the attack, we managed to pack food for the poor and affected people in Gaza. This is from our earlier collection.
In addition to food, VPM will now include Medical Aid with the balance of the collection that are pouring in from our generous donors.
VPM will be purchasing 2 Medical Kits as follows
The Interagency Emergency Health Kit 2011 (IEHK-WHO)
Medicines and medical devices for 10 000 people for approximately three months (WHO)
Reliable, standardized, affordable and quickly available source of the essential medicines and medical devices (renewable and equipment) urgently needed in a disaster situation. Its content is based on the health needs of 10 000 people for a period of three months.
It cost USD 11,800 per kit delivered to Cairo
Can go out in 48hrs
Dr Ismail Chairman IMA North America IMANA has requested a quote for air lift to al-Ariesh, which is 1 hour from rafah!
The FIMA medical team is awaiting clearance from Egypt to enter Rafah with these kits ready to go inshallah.
Contributions thus far:
1 IMANA - 2 kits
2 VPM - 2 kits
3 Al-Khidmat Pakistan - 1 kit
13 Ramadhan 1435 / 11 July 2014
PRESS RELEASE: MORE ATTACKS ON GAZA
On the morning of 8 July 2014, Israel unleashed yet another sequel of attacks on Gaza - Operation Protective Edge. Like its predecessor, Operation Cast Lead (2008/2009) and Operation Pillar of Defence (2012), these acts of genocide are reminiscent of the manner in which the state of Israel was born.
Violent inhuman atrocities and a militaristic policy of ethnic cleansing of the Israeli Occupying Forces (IOF) was the backdrop to the declaration of the state of Israel on 14 May 1948. The IOF acquired 78% of Palestine, expelled 750,000 Palestinians and destroyed 400 Palestinian villages. A catastrophe of monumental proportions for the indigenous Palestinians – the Nakba.
The unabated aggression of the IOF continues today with further confiscation of Palestinian land for Jewish settlements and the occupation of Jerusalem. The entire population of Gaza is now terrorised by widespread, incessant and indiscriminate bombings. In defence and resistance to the occupation, the Palestinians are firing Qassam rockets on the cities of Haifa, Jerusalem and Tel Aviv, totally unanticipated by the IOF. Though of varying proportions, both the Israeli and Palestinian people are paying a heavy price, as a consequence of the "occupation mind-set" of the Zionist leadership.
The Israeli government continues to invite world scorn in its despicable treatment of the Palestinians and this latest incident is another ghastly and cowardly stain on its appalling human rights record. The racist, immoral and illegitimate actions of Israel have turned it into a rogue nation and increased its political isolation in the global community.
Where super powers have failed the Palestinians, civil society has responded with vigour and outrage to say "Enough is Enough". There is a worldwide campaign to put pressure on Israel to abide by international law.
VIVA PALESTINA MALAYSIA REAFFIRM OUR RESOLVE THAT SECURITY, JUSTICE AND EQUALITY IS LONG OVERDUE TO EVERY ISRAELI AND PALESTINIAN. IN OUR SINCERE AND EARNEST ENDEAVOUR TO REALISE THESE CHERISHED VALUES, WE HEREBY:
1. URGE the world community and civil society to recognize that since the creation of Israel in 1948, the Palestinians have been forcibly and continually evicted from their homes and denied their right of a dignified return to their homeland.
2. URGE the United Nations to rein in Israel to embrace the "Hudna" (Truce Plan) which stipulates her withdrawal to the border prior to June 1967 (UN Resolution 242/1967) and honour the right of return of the Palestinians as guaranteed by the UN (Resolution 194 iii/1949 - Palestinian Right of Return to their homeland).
3. URGE the United Nations to force Israel to end the occupation of Palestine, and value the well-being of both Israelis and Palestinians and their peaceful co-existence.
4. URGE world governments to offer humanitarian aid to the Palestinian government in a show of solidarity with the oppressed people of Palestine.
VIVA PALESTINA MALAYSIA HEREBY:
1. CONDEMN in the strongest possible term the latest campaign of aggression and genocide by Israel.
2. URGE the United Nations to do everything possible to immediately end the wanton killings of innocent Palestinians and destruction of their infrastructure.
3. SUPPORT any move by the Government of Malaysia to champion the Palestinian cause in their quest for freedom, justice and self-determination
4. ENJOIN peace loving Malaysians to contribute generously to the rehabilitation and recovery of the Palestinian people and state.
Dato Dr Musa Mohd Nordin
Chairman, Viva Palestina Malaysia
VPM at the Press Conference organised by Aqsa Syariff on 11 July 2014